Of the twelve steps, the Fourth Step is the first requiring an action. The process is to discover and uncover the truths of our "character defects" and prepare for a new way of life. The CA Program is based upon the AA Twelve Step Program, but designed for the betterment of an individual communicator's professional career and how it affects the entire industry. CA posts are meant to be a service to others and to pass along the message of self-alignment. You can read archive of CA Program here.
It is time to take inventory. Do not think this is necessary? Think back to the last time in your professional career you were frustrated, Angy, anxious and/or uncomfortable. Bring to the light the issues flaming the fire of these emotions. We are only getting these issues on paper...don't skip ahead to Step Eight. Why write issues on paper? Writing brings reality to the invisible pricks we have been bearing.
Clancy L. of Step12.com, lists seven questions to ask before delving down into your inventory:
- In looking back over your life - what memories are still painful and guilty?
- In what ways do you consider yourself an inadequate person?
- Who do you represent - and why? Be specific.
- What do you consider to be your defects of character - as you see them today?
- What is the nature of the ongoing problems do you have with people close to you - in human relations - what seems to always happen when you have these things blow up?
- In what ways to you believe that CA Can help you with any of these problems?
- In what way do you believe that CA can begin to change things?
Here are AA journaling worksheets (crafted by step12.com) you can tailor for CA:
Last year, my intention was to document my inventory online -public. Not good. Learn from my lesson, keep this inventory to yourself for now...if you have any questions or thoughts, please drop me a comment below or an email. Good Luck!